Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Redirecting My Energy

Wow! I can't believe it's already been almost a month since I last blogged. Life has been busy and I haven't made the time to blog and to be incredibly honest, I didn't want to admit defeat or change of plans. I hate being flaky or whatever labels I'm putting on myself...which are probably not true, just the story in my head.

So here is the current situation: I had to give up, let go of, (or maybe more realistically put on hold) starting midwifery school in the Fall. I just couldn't think of a way to come up with the finances since the school is not yet accredited. Meaning I can't get student loans, grants or anything like that until they are. I can't afford school on my doula income and my parents are already paying for my younger brother to go to school...so my options are quite limited at this point. So much so that I threw up my hands and said it'll just have to wait. I also decided to not take my last prerequisite starting next month since I have one client due next week and two more due the end of August. I figured I would be much too busy with my business to succeed in a short and intense course such as Anatomy and Physiology II. Not to mention that I'm also in the thick of getting a divorce and just about to file the first packet of paperwork. (A little bit stressful to say the least.)

Now that it's been a couple of weeks since I've made these decisions I feel much more settled. I have decided it will be much better for myself to focus much of my energy on getting my doula business up and running again. I am typing up handouts for my clients and getting my paperwork organized, making a flier for my business to tack around town(s), and coming up with new business cards and magnets to give to my clients. I'm really excited to be more focused on my business and nurturing it into a thriving doula practice. My goal is to have at least two client due dates a month and I really think that is achievable if I do the right advertising. I still meet so many people who don't know what a doula is and I think that is the first thing to address. The need of all women for support during the childbearing year, whether they choose to have a doula or not. All women need to be nurtured and empowered to make their own educated choices and be fully supported in them.

So spread the word "doula" around, my friends. Tell anyone you know that is pregnant or knows someone who is, that a doula helps in any way the mother needs and that it's incredibly valuable to look into getting a doula for birth and/or post-partum. Their first visit with me is free! Now, onto typing up those handouts...

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha you make me want to have a baby, just so you can be my doula! I can honestly say I never thought much about Doulas, but you are opening up my eyes. I always figured my mom would give me all the support I need, but the more I think about, I think I would want a Doula, but only you I don't think I would feel comfortable with someone I don't know. So I guess if I ever decide to have kids I'll be calling you cousin!
    Love
    Brittin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Brittin, I would love to be your doula someday. That is a big reason why I made this blog, because I really want people to know what I do, to value the profession, and to hire me...Lol. :) It's true that mothers can give a lot of support, but it is different from the support of an experienced doula.

    ReplyDelete